- Analysis of the applicability and economic viability of an electron beam based treatment of waste water and sludge. This work was supported by a grant from EDF-Novelect.
- Feasibility study on parvo-virus inactivation in a protein environment with cm-wavelength electromagnetic radiation.
- SEM examination of vanilla beans before and after treatment with microwaves for the extraction of essential oils. High resolution SEM images were taken at CERN and at the Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle in Geneva.
- Review of materials for oxygen filtering from steam at temperatures above 2000°C.
- Review of materials for hydrogen filtering from steam at highest possible temperature.
- Conception (patented) of a hydrogen generator based on thermal water splitting.
- Extensive 2D and 3D CFD simulations (ANSYS-FLUENT) of various high temperature furnaces. The simulations were carried out at HES/SO-HEPIA and PLS Fluid Dynamics. This work was supported by HES/SO-HEPIA in Geneva.
- Development and implementation of algorithms for count rate analysis in radiation detectors (C++).
- Development and demonstration of real-time auction participation software (C++ and Java).
- Development of algorithms and implementation of a two dimensional population model for the study of disease evolution. The programs (Popmod, Probit) are part of the World Health Organization’s cost-effectiveness software package in the WHO-CHOICE program (C++).
- Implementation of a ray trace algorithm for the simulation of parabolic concentrator dishes (C++).
Construction and test activities
- Design and construction of an electro-magnetic test beam calorimeter for use at CERN’s Super Proton Synchrotron SPS.
- Test of a neutron dose rate monitor at the CERN-EU high-energy Reference Field (CERF) facility.
- Design and construction of a micro wave steriliser for hazardous medical waste.
- Invention of a linear shredder for medical waste treatment (patented).
- Design and construction of a reduced scale device to study the heating and dehydration process in the dehydration of hydrated ammonium aluminium sulphate.
- Conception and realisation, in collaboration with Fraunhofer IKTS Hermsdorf, of test benches for testing tubular oxygen and hydrogen filters and the study of oxygen filtering from steam. Testing of filters up to 2250°C.
- Conception and realisation of a test bench for the study of thermal water splitting and the diffusion of hydrogen in hot steam, in collaboration with Fraunhofer IKTS Hermsdorf. Execution and analysis of the tests.
- Conception and realisation of a test bench for the study of high temperature heating elements. Execution and analysis of the tests. This work was supported by HES/SO-HEPIA in Geneva.
- Conception and realisation of a test bench for tubular hydrogen membrane filters, working up to about 1200°C.
- Conception, execution, and analysis of high-temperature (up to about 2200°C) tests of porous ceramic insulation material, in collaboration with University of Geneva DPMC.